Thursday, August 29, 2013

Budget Frustrations

When I got engaged in February, I did what every wedding website suggests to start with -- looked at my budget. Unfortunately, at the time,  I was in my junior year of college. So was my fiancĂ©. And both sets of parents are putting multiple children through college at this time. Knowing I would be working in a tight budget, I decided to start looking up different tips and tricks to keep costs down. One of the best resources seemed to be those websites where they say, "I got married for $3,000!" and showed you what they spent their money on. Have you ever actually looked at one of those pages? In my opinion, paying $3,000 to elope doesn't count as a budget wedding. It also doesn't help me if it cost you $3,000 to have a wedding with only 15 guests. The blogs and websites that frustrated me the most were the ones that seemed to be a budget wedding with 200 guests, but then when I looked at their budget breakdown, that didn't include the costs of invitations, decorations, transportation, photographer, etc. No, paying $5,000 for only the food, venue, and dress doesn't count as a budget wedding either.

Thankfully, because my fiancé and I are both in school, we have a long engagement -- about a year and a half. For a long time, I wished we could move the wedding up. But it's turned out to be such a blessing, because as I go about this slow process of planning a wedding, we've been able to actually find amazing deals and amazing people to help us out, so that our wedding can stay within a $5,000 budget.

On this blog, I'm going to share not just the tips and tricks that I am using to help save money on my wedding, because I know that not everyone has the same resources. I will also share other ideas that I have had or seen, and the process of my planning and crafting in the remaining 317 days until I get to marry the love of my life. I hope that this helps you to see that you don't really have to pay the wedding industry prices for a good, beautiful wedding, and that a normal wedding on a budget is completely possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment